CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 24, 2008

A trip to the ER

Noelle spent Saturday in the emergency room of Children’s Hospital. She has had a recurring bout of stomach pain and nausea for the past 3 weeks. I thought she had the flu in the beginning, but she bounced back quickly and jumped right back into things. A week later, she came home with a fever, stomach cramping, and nausea. Again she bounced back. Then Saturday morning she woke up one very sick girl. I will spare you all the gross details.

I rushed her to the doctor, and he sent us straight to the hospital. Noelle has lost 10 pounds since her annual check up back in August, but I suspect it’s really been in the last 3 weeks. She is noticeably thinner and paler. Her symptoms Saturday morning were just like the symptoms I had when I suffered from an intestinal blockage a few years ago. Of course, mine was the result of a doctor stitching my intestine shut after giving me a hysterectomy…. :/ Noelle obviously didn’t have a hysterectomy, but she could have had a blockage of some other sort. So off to the ER we went.

The hospital ran every test imaginable on her, including a rectal exam, pelvic exam, x-rays, etc. and they didn’t find anything. Her white blood cells were good, no signs of an infection, no internal blockage… They hooked her up to an IV to rehydrate her and give her anti-nausea medicine. She felt really good after that, and managed to keep a popsicle down. Then when we got home, she ate about 5 spoonfuls of chicken noodle soup and felt nauseous again. I gave her the medicine they sent home with us and she slept about 11 hours.

The ER doctor said she could just have a really bad flu bug, but I don’t think that’s likely. For one thing, I haven’t gotten it (knock on wood). But also, it doesn’t seem to me that the flu would just sporadically come and go like that for 3 weeks. If you have the flu that bad, you’d be in bed every day, right? It could also be gastroenteritis, or it could be Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I will need to keep her on a very simple diet for the foreseeable future and see how she responds…. And yes, Thanksgiving is in 3 days. :(

6 comments:

Emily Retherford said...

Hey thanks for commenting on my blog I love to meet people in the same area as me! I feel so bad for daughter, please keep us posted on how she's doing and I would take her to another doctor for a second opinion. I normally love Children's but how could they find NOTHING wrong!

Emily
Mama and Hustler???
Great MOMS Think Alike
The Photographer In Me
There's A Geek In Every Girl
Writer Wannabe
Bye Bye Fat Girl...Hello Hottie

aola said...

oh, poor, Nicole. I hope she is feeling better soon. That really bites that she had to go through all those tests and they still found nothing.

Anna said...

wow, I agree that it's crazy that they didn't see anything. One idea is to put her on charcoal capsules for a few days. It would mean taking her off her ani nausea medicine but it absorbs all the toxins in her stomach and believe me that's what you want to do, even if it's the IBS, or a blockage of some sort. I mean you call the doctor and ask them about it but when we had a serious case of food poisoning (like almost ER type stuff, had we had insurance would have gone kind a thing) it was the best thing ever. Within 24 hours of taking it we were much much better.

It's so odd though that she doesn't seem to stay down ya know. Another idea...is endo. I know I know but do you even remember how I'd get that time of the month. I'd throw up like you wouldn't believe, be on the bed in pain with cramps, and think I was going to DIE!!!!! Turns out it was endo.


In Any case....I love you guys and hope you have a great Thanksgiving! I'm thankful you're my sister, and Noelle's my niece!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, everyone!

Noelle is now able to eat a little more substantial food without being nauseous, so that is a major improvement. She’s just incredibly weak and sleeping a ton.

Anna, where would I get charcoal capsules? I haven’t seen them before. Endometriosis did occur to me, since I also had such horrible bouts of it. I am very thankful to call you all my family, too! :-)

STAG said...

I feel for her since I think I am going through all the same symptoms. But I am reasonably certain it is a very very bad cold, or a relatively minor flue. Around here, we still get some of the old nasty flues, probably because of all the embassies and foreign travelers. I think its because I wore myself out on a majorly big project last week.
I suspect I do not have endometriosis.
So Nicolle...hang in there honey, this too shall pass.

(But does it have to pass so violently? oops...gotta go...)

Jennifer said...

Oh no, Stag! :( I hope you feel better.