CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake!

The 5.4 earthquake that hit Illinois early this morning was felt right here in Dayton, Ohio. Woke me out of a sound sleep! I was asleep at 5:30 this morning when all of a sudden it felt like someone was shaking me. I woke up and realized that my entire bed was shaking! And no one was in it! LOL. I laid there for probably close to a minute trying to figure out if I was dreaming or what the heck was going on. Then it stopped so I concluded I must have been dreaming and tried to get back to sleep. I was getting ready for work when Noelle came out of her room and told me that the radio was saying we'd had an earthquake. At least I knew then I wasn't losing my mind!

Then around an hour ago, several people here at work said they felt an aftershock but I didn't feel that. The news confirms it was an aftershock of 4.2. Really bizarre stuff for Ohio.

Have any of you ever experienced an earthquake?

7 comments:

Mary Beth said...

We felt it here, too! I thought Jay was shaking the bed, but then I started to register other odd noises like the windows rattling, etc. The thought crossed my mind that it was an earthquake since we're practically on top of the New Madrid fault. I was asleep again in under a minute. I, too, was relieved to see that there was an earthquake and I wasn't just making things up.

We used to live eight miles from the San Andreas fault in southern California. We experienced a pretty big one that originated in Palm Desert, I think. It was enough to wake me up and make me consider standing in a doorframe. What really freaked me out were the aftershocks that we felt for weeks afterward.

McMom said...

I lived in Mexico in 1985 when they had their big earthquake in Mexico City. I lived north of Mexico City, outside of Monterrey, and I felt it. The water in the toilet was making "waves"

Unknown said...

I've been in 2 big ones, both happened while I was working different jobs.

The first one was 1995, the 'Spring Break Quake' in Oregon. I was working the night shift and the 2 teenage wards had their connecting doors open and all the kids were sleeping. When the quake hit, I got in the hall, and could see the waves of energy moving through the building via the drop ceiling. Very few of the teenagers woke up, and the few that did went right back to sleep when I said "Everything's fine, we just had a little earthquake." EVERY single adult patient was up and completely freaked out.

The second quake was the 7.1 Nisqually quake. The quake was centered just outside of Tacoma, but I was in Portland at work, and it was very strong. All of the huge TV screens that where hanging from the ceiling swung back and forth.

I was in a couple of little ones in Los Angeles as a teenager, but it was mostly just a few seconds of shake the couch kind of stuff.

Jennifer said...

Great stories! I've always how people in CA deal with those big quakes.

Jennifer said...

*always wondered

Anna said...

I remember one when we were little. I can't rememeber how old I was but I remember the big china cabinet in the dining room shaking.

Pretty crazy stuff though for Ohio.

Jennifer said...

I don't remember that!! :o