CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 16, 2008

Vegetable Egg Rolls



Ingredients


1 package egg roll wrappers
1 egg, beaten
10 oz. package shredded cabbage
10 oz. package shredded carrot
Handful of mung bean sprouts
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tsp. sugar
4 Tbsp. olive oil
Crisco for frying


Directions

Mix soy sauce and sugar in small bowl and set aside. Heat olive oil in skillet on medium high heat. Add cabbage, carrots, and sprouts and mix thoroughly. Saute in the oil until vegetables are soft. Pour soy sauce mixture over the vegetables and stir well. Set aside to cool. Once cool, begin making the egg rolls.

Lay a wrapper in front of you so that it forms a diamond shape. Brush beaten egg all the way around the edge of the wrapper. Spread two tablespoons of filling along the bottom half, spreading it out in a rectangle shape, stopping just inside the edges. Lift the bottom corner of the wrapper and roll it over the filling, tucking it under. Fold the left and right sides inward and roll up. Just before you reach the top, brush egg on the upper corner and secure over the roll.

Fill a deep pan with Crisco and heat on high, until water sprinkled on top sizzles. Drop each egg roll into the hot oil and try as best you can to turn the roll over so all sides are browned evenly. When crispy, remove the egg rolls with tongs and place on paper towels to drain. Serve with duck sauce, soy sauce, or sweet and sour sauce.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Do other oils for frying work as well?

Those look tremendous!

Jennifer said...

CV, I imagine they would. I'm just used to using Crisco. I am quite addicted to these babies at the moment!

aola said...

oh, wow, those look good. I love veggie eggrolls. Thanks for the recipe, I've never tried to make them.

STAG said...

Personally I like canola oil...crisco is all trans-fat.

I like your recipe. Around here egg rolls have a lot of pork in them...makes them really greasy, and Brenda won't eat them. Me, the carnivore that I am, can't resist 'em, and snap them up. I almost always end up with a stomach ache afterwards.

Where I grew up, (out in Manitoba) all egg rolls were vegetarian, your recipe seems very like my childhood comfort food.

McMom said...

That looks yummy!! I was just thinking of making egg rolls the other day! Now I really have to!!

Pastor said...

Who knew it was so easy to make eggrolls?!

I think I'll try them tonight!

Jennifer said...

I know, Crisco is baaaaad. But this is the only thing I ever fry, and it's my own indulgence. Believe me, if I can make them, anyone can.