CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Camping in the Hills

We spent the weekend camping at Hocking Hills State Park, in beautiful Southeastern Ohio, with our friend Jesse. We had a fabulous time, and had perfect weather for it. Hiked 6 miles yesterday, over verrrry hilly terrain that really gave this old body a workout. It was so good to feel my body moving in the middle of this old growth forest. I felt the stress of life just fall from my shoulders with every step I took deeper into the woods. Oh by the way, shopping for camping supplies in a town just hit by a hurricane is fruitless, lol.

You know it’s football season.... all over the hollow could be heard the cries of OH-IO. If you’re not from around here, that’s the Buckeye Battle Cry. The sheer cliff walls of Blackhand sandstone make for great echoes.

It’s a 2 ½ hour drive over there, but what a gorgeous drive it is. And confusing as hell. This was the first time I have made the drive by myself – I mean, as the only adult navigating- and those old, twisty, country roads really throw me off. I got myself quite turned around and had to stop and ask locals for directions a couple of times. That’s because directions down in those parts consist of “Go to the bottom of the hill (which ends up being about 5 miles), and turn right at the mobile home. If it’s still there.” I’m not kidding, lol.

Here are a few of the pictures I took. My camera settings were acting screwy at one point, and I’m not sure why, so some of these are very out of focus. These are thumbnails; click for full size.
































































































As always, it is hard to come back to the busyness of life......but nice to come back to a bed. :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful, just wonderful. It looks like you are feeling much better as well!

What kind of caterpillar is that? one that looks like you'd get a rash for your trouble picking it up for sure.

I love your camera work! You should send mr. Caterpillar and frog in for a contest or two.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, CV! I appreciate that, coming from a real pro. :-) I am *finally* feeling much better, knock on wood. I emailed an Ohio naturalist to find out the species of caterpillar, and he says it is Sycamore Tussock Moth.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are better!

Anna said...

These pictures are great! Glad you take Noelle camping and wow now I'm hungry for Smores!

Also glad you're feeling better!

STAG said...

So my motorcycle won't stand up by itself. Well, of course not...its two tired....

Bah dump dump.

And speaking of which....

Gnight!