CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Welcome to Ohio, Ike!

We had 60 mph sustained winds here with gusts up to 75 mph for several hours today, the outer remnants of Hurricane Ike. Let me tell you, it got very scary at times. We were without power, in the basement with the cell phone and weather radio. I can't imagine how scary it must have been to be anywhere along the coast during Ike, because it was bad enough just riding out the outer band of it here in Ohio.

When the winds finally died down and the power came back on, I stepped outside to survey the damage. I had several large limbs down in my yard, and one in the driveway just a foot from my car. I also had a piece of an upstairs storm window broken. But none of that compares to what I saw as I started walking down the street. Here is some of what I saw....













































Amazing that there were no injuries in our neighborhood. My neighbors checked in to make sure Noelle and I were okay, which was much appreciated. Now the sound of chainsaws fills the air. You can't tell from these pics, but right now my street is unnavigable by car. The news says several main roads are blocked by huge trees and there are structural fires throughout the surrounding towns. I'm just thankful no one I know was hurt.

8 comments:

STAG said...

Oh dear...I AM glad nobody was hurt!

aola said...

Glad that you guys are okay!

Nature is an awesome (and scary)force. We got rain here in Oklahoma but none of the wind.

Jennifer said...

Just found out, every school in 3 counties is closed tomorrow due to damage and debris. This was bad.

McMom said...

WOW!! I am glad you all are OK!! I was reading this blog, http://www.thisisreverb.com/ moments ago, and thought of you! Stay safe!

Chris said...

Wow! Somehow we were spared (in Austin, TX) by dumb luck, the storm veered to the northeast after wiping out Galveston/Houston. Good to hear you're okay!

Anna said...

Very Glad you are safe...can't believe it hit ohio of all the strange places.

We got pounded with rain and did have wind but nothing like that. In fact Gustav seemed worse for us then Ike. Your pictures remind me of the ice storm we had last year. Glad you had a basement to hide out in.

Jennifer said...

Thank you everyone, for your good wishes.

Anna, it made me think of that, too!

Chris, I thought about you down there in Austin and wondered how you were holding up. Glad to hear it missed you!

HP said...

Wow!! This is some storm!

My parents still have power....but most people on their street are not as lucky. No phones. No cell phones and no cable (for internet).

Glad you and Noelle are doing fine.