CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 15, 2008

We were lucky

Now that I have ventured out of my own neighborhood, I realize even more just how lucky we were! 200,000 people in Dayton – including many of my co-workers - are still without power and probably will be for several days. I’m sick thinking about all the food they have lost in their refrigerators and freezers! Many people have taken up refuge in hotel rooms. Several grocery stores in the area are also without power. I have heard some terrible news stories about robberies taking place.

Everyone is wandering around like dazed war refugees, examining the damage. Hundreds and hundreds of trees broken in half, and many uprooted. But we were lucky in that we had a good hard rain Friday – if the ground had been drier, many more trees would have uprooted. I am so thankful that we only had a small piece of a window broken.

The kids are still out of school, and Noelle is quite upset about it. She has a boyfriend now, you see, and he lives on the other side of town so they only see each other at school. Never thought I’d see a child pout about school being cancelled!

We wore ourselves out tonight cleaning up debris in the yard, and there is more to do. I had to hire a professional to come out and cut down the top half of my maple tree, as it was broken and hanging. So lucky it didn’t fall on the house!






















6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you both are ok. What a horrible storm. What a mess!

Such good photos of such bad stuff.

McMom said...

WOW!! I am so glad you are OK and did not suffer more damage!

STAG said...

Crikey!

STAG said...

Yeah, we got, what an inch or three of rain, and some brisk breezes. Nothin to speak of! It must have blew itself out over the Ohio Valley.

aola said...

It makes me sad to see those big old trees broken. I hope someone is coming in to cut them up and at least use the wood for something.

Jennifer said...

Oh, there have been some entreprenuers made in this crisis, let me tell you. Lowes and Home Depot sold out of chainsaws by Monday afternoon. What sucks is that we are going camping this weekend, and don't you know all these tons of firewood lying around and it's all GREEN! Phooey. Also... I feel kinda guilty going camping because there are still 100,000+ people here that don't have power yet, who have been camping in their houses all week.